Friday, July 15, 2011

Pinecone Wreath

I have wanted to make a pinecone wreath for a couple years, but don't have any trees dropping pinecones near my house that I knew of.  But back in February, we went for a walk along the waterfront and spotted a ton of pinecones on the ground. 
This wreath was intended for my mom for her birthday, but she was with me when I found the pinecones, so I had to fess up with my project since she would wonder why I was picking up a ton of pinecones.  But, she probably wouldn't have been that confused.  After all, I am her daughter, and she used to pick them up at random rest stops and parks when I was younger...something we always teased her about.
Anyway, I finally got around to making the wreath, and guess what!  She had totally forgotten about it, so it was still a surprise for her birthday!

Here's the back...
I was going to use a styrofoam wreath, but I would have had to paint it brown and then wait for it to dry - unless I didn't care about seeing white spots between the pinecones.  And I don't have much patience when I want to start a project.  So, I dug through my craft stash and found this old brown branch wreath - perfect match to the pinecone color.  And ironically enough, it was one that my mom had given to me when she was cleaning out her craft stash before she moved. 

3 comments:

  1. Hello! That is a beautiful pinecone wreath! I actually just collected a large bag full of pinecones about a week ago to make a wreath and then I stumbled across your post. I was wondering, how did you attach the pinecones to the wreath? I have seen so many people use the styrofoam and hot glue, but I really like the idea of using a stick wreath for a base instead... it seems more sturdy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kath, I just hot glued them to the wreath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful. Did you paint the tips of the pinecones? If so- did you spray paint or use a specific paint?

    ReplyDelete