Friday, July 29, 2011

Pillow Bed (Double sided)

Once I saw the pillow mattress on Ucreate, I wanted one right away...don't really have the need for it yet, but it was so cute. 

Super easy - just 4 pillows stuffed into 4 compartments in a long piece of fabric.  Easy to make, take apart, and wash!

I didn't want to make multiple ones, so I used a cute, girly print for one side and solid gray for the other side - more boy-ish.  Perfect for laying down to read or watch a little Dora and Diego!
 The tutorial said she found pillows at IKEA for 99 cents, so I made a trip the next day.  They were $1.29 at my store, but that was still an awesome deal.  And I didn't want to buy an expensive duvet cover, so I used some flat sheets that I had laying around.  No one really uses flat sheets, so they are always in awesome shape if you find them in your linen closet or even at thrift stores. 

Since I was making it out of fabric insead of an already-made duvet cover, it took a lot longer, but it was fun to make.  I did get confused in one point of the tutorial about making the pocket flap for the pillow.  I made one but it doesn't work at all.  So I will need to add 1 or 2 snaps to each opening to keep it cute and closed.  But I gave the snap kit back to my mom, so I'll need to borrow it again.
And since my kids are still so small, I can fold the top pillow section over to make a double pillow for their little heads.  But they both woke up from nap and instantly plopped down on it.  I love when they like things that I made for them.

1 comment:

  1. Thats very cool! I was having a hard time picturing what this would look like. Great idea. I put the snaps in my car to bring to you next time I come. :)

    ReplyDelete