Monday, December 13, 2010

Knee High Socks turned Arm Warmers

My hands are always cold, and these have been great while driving or just wearing around the house.  I've seen this idea floating around for the last couple years, but I did it a little different than I've seen them so far.  It's hard to take a picture of your own arm :)
I took an old pair of knee high socks that I've had for about 12-13 years - they got too tight after highschool/college but I couldn't part with them.  And I made this pair right before Halloween, so the colors went great for my wardrobe choice.  I cut off the foot part like so . . .


Most examples I've seen have the finished stretchy top of the sock as the part by your elbow, but I made that the part on my hand and used the unfinished edge as the upper arm side - much more forgiving of non-skinny arms :)

I also made a "button hole" of sorts as the thumb hole - this was tricky, and I swore I'd never do it again, but I just made 3 more sets today :).  I did two lines of tight zigzag stitches where I wanted the thumb and then a wider stitch to keep the ends together.  It's tricky sewing in a small sock opening. (you could try an actual button hole on a scrap, but my machine wouldn't make it big enough and the sock kept stretching and it didn't work that way for me.

The ones I made today had a little something extra on them.  I had plain knee high socks and felt they needed a bit more to them, so I cut up the foot part (cut off the heel and the toe pieces) and sewed them to the alternating sock (grey went to black and black went to grey) as a cuff.  Here is a picture of how I cut them.
To get the rolled edge look, stretch the edge of the sock like my little helper is and then roll it down a little.
Here they are with the new cuff (that went by the elbow.)


1 comment: