Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Mirror Coat Hook

I've wanted one of these for a while, but they were always so expensive.  And then I realized I can make it!  I didn't have to spend the huge money when I already had the supplies.  I made this about 4 months ago but forgot I hadn't posted it yet.

It was hard to get a picture of the shelf, but there is a shelf between the mirror and the board with the hooks. 

I had a nice hanging mirror that went over a door, but i didn't need it anymore since my closet doors are mirrors.  And we had scrap wood from working on remodeling the house to use as the shelf and hook board.

The only thing I had to buy was coat hooks.  But those are expensive at Lowes or Home Depot.  So I looked around for a while and found them at WalMart.

We painted and screwed the 2 boards together, then added the coat hooks.  The shelf/hook boards are actually not connected to the mirror.  We didn't want so much weight on the mirror when the coats are hung up . . . just in case it pulled it down and broke the mirror.  So they are attached to the wall seperately to make them a bit more stable.

But that made it tricky to try and hide the screws on the hook board.  So my husband came up with the idea of screwing it to the wall first, then adding the coat hooks - and have the hooks cover the screws.  It worked great!

3 comments:

  1. THIS IS GORGEOUS!! & brilliant idea to hang them separate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, seriously... i LOVE this! I have one of the "expensive" ones from Pottery Barn - and I love yours WAYYY more. I love how it looks like the mirror is sitting on a bench of sorts and I love that you can use a mirror with a cool frame and still have a plane board with the hooks. Brilliant! Thanks for sharing!!! Can't wait to do something with a funky frame for my daughter's room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fab idea! I think it's great that you had fore thought to keep them seperate due to the weight of the coats. Looks very expensive!!

    ReplyDelete