Friday, February 5, 2010

Burlap Heart Wreath

Once I saw this idea, I had to make one. I've been seeing burlap projects everywhere and just assumed that burlap fabric was expensive. Boy was I wrong. It was only $2.99/yard at Jo-Anns. And that was the regular price. So I used one of my 40% off coupons and 1 yard of the red burlap was under $2. And I was so excited to find RED burlap.

I don't have any sturdy wire to use as the frame, so i shaped a wire hanger into a heart and strung the burlap strips on from there. I used 8 strips (2.5" wide) to make this wreath. But I had bought a yard, not sure how much I was going to need. That left me with about 16" extra burlap. So I cut 8 more strips at 2" wide each and made a 2nd wreath for my sister. So 2 wreaths for $1.97 - can't beat that!

When the fabric lady was cutting the burlap for me, she did something different than just cut at the yard mark. She made a slit and then pulled one of the strings out - giving her an even guide to cut on. I thought that was genious - so I used that same trick to get even 2.5" strips when I cut it up.

First, make a slit with the scissors and then pull a string at the slit so that the burlap gathers - see photo.

Then when that string is out, you have an easy guide to cut along so your strips are even. I LOVE this idea! So there you go - a trick to cutting burlap strips . . . if you didn't already know it. :)

4 comments:

  1. It turned out sooo cute! How very, very nice of you to make one for your sis as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww sweet I love it and the tip too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Serena, I just stumbled upon your blog after browsing through some other that I follow and I have to tell you that I am INSPIRED! Thank you for all your ideas! I can't wait to see all of the adorable ideas that you have and hope to borrow some of them and attempt them on my own.

    Beth
    thepatchworkchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip! Love all your ideas. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete