Sunday, August 2, 2009

Applique Bird & Ruffle Butt Onesie

I created a pattern for a bird to applique on a onesie and wanted to add something else to it, so I followed the tutorial on Crap I've Made to put ruffles on the butt of the onesie. Her tutorial shows how to do it with or without a serger - and it's super easy to follow.
If you want the pattern for the bird, you can download the PDF that I created here.

I'd never used a serger before and was a bit scared to as well. But I ventured over to my Mother-in-Law's house to try this on her's. It was fun - and easier than I had thought. My mom had a serger that my Grandma had given her, so after I made these ruffles, I "borrowed" my mom's serger. She doesn't know she's not getting it back for a long time :) Luckily for him, my son is too big to fit into this onesie to model it.
Applique instructions:

Supplies
  • wonder under
  • fabric
  • iron
  • sewing machine
  1. Iron the wonder under to the under side of the fabric you'll be cutting out.
  2. Trace your pattern onto the paper side of the fabric/wonder under piece and cut out
  3. Peel off the paper backing from the wonder under
  4. Iron the shape onto your desired shirt/item
  5. Top stitch around the edges of your pieces to add a little protection when it's washed

1 comment:

  1. That is a super cute shirt...I love Crap I've Made.
    I am wondering, have you ever used your cricut to cut fabric? I just started trying with a bit of success, though using scissors makes cleaner cuts. I just want to find someone (other then the youtube lady who does it and when I do it like her do not get as clean of a cut) who has done it and done it well.

    ReplyDelete