Monday, July 20, 2009

Christmas in July

I made these plates last year for my mom, mother-in-law (and myself) for Christmas. But the day after I made mine, my husband bumped it and it shattered . . . so note to self - buy stronger plate holders!

I bought the plates at Target and the Dollar Store. And fiddled around with a few designs on my Cricut Expression and the adhered the vinyl to the plates. Voila! Instant Christmas present - I also covered them with saran wrap and put cookies and other goodies on them when I handed them over as gifts.

On "rockin' around the Christmas tree," I just had the completed triangle for the tree and used an exacto knife to cut out the diagonal lines once I put it on the plate - that was rather easy and kinda fun to do.

**After putting the vinyl on, you can't wash the plates in the sink or dishwasher, so it's good to cover them before putting food on them for a gift. Then they are just decoration.

10 comments:

  1. Very cool idea! I just bought a Cricut yesterday and I'm so excited to find ideas on what to do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want a Cricut! I wish Christmas would come quick!

    These are awesome plates. I'd love to do some for my daughter...or maybe for each member of the family. I wonder if you can use the "reverse" of the cricut as a stencil and use an enamel paint that won't wash off?

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you use the cricut, you would just use the vinyl part of the outline around the letters you throw away instead of the letters themselves and you can stick that on the plate and then paint on the inside - since the vinyl sticks really good, you can get a good seal. That's the technique i use when i etch on glass like on the cookie jar i posted a few months ago. You can also use contact paper and make your own designs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea. Always looking for a great Christmas gift idea. Just found one. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would never have thought of using vinyl like that. And they look so designer. Cool, cool tip. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute!!! My SIL made me a Christmas plate using vinyl letters last year. And my sister has a cricut. Maybe I'll have to borrow hers & make some of my own to give as gifts. Fabulous idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job!!! They look like a million bucks:) Thanks for linking up to TWOC!
    Keelie

    ReplyDelete